Tuesday, June 23, 2009

HOLY COW!!!

I just applied to get my Master's!!! DH suggested it 3 days ago -- I discovered that the University of Auckland has a Master's program EXACTLY in my area of study (International Relations and Human Rights) -- I corresponded with the (American) program director -- and tonight I completed the app! The Director said that I should be easily admitted (I have a degree in IR, with an undergrad thesis in Human Rights, so that's kinda a shoe-in), so I'm not even worried about that. PLUS, University here is super cheap, so my Master's will only cost me about NZ$6000 (as opposed to that $100K USC education!!)

OOOh, I'm so excited...if I didn't have the worst cramps on the planet, I'd be jumping up and down!!!

P.S., OK, who's read the Twilight books?? The movie was so bad that I got sucked into the reading the entire series (in three days time) and I have desperately wanted to engage in an Academic discussion of the books, their morality/theology, and why, OH WHY, is it acceptable for authors to forget about grammar/good storyform just because they are writing for teens?? What? Teens don't need to learn how to use "whom" like the rest of us??....errrrrt, must stop oncoming punctuation rant.....And most of all, there should be a law against writers taking interesting plots and butchering them with poorly constructed stories....Now, I'm waiting for the Sookie Stackhouse novels to arrive......

4 comments:

Henitsirk said...

OMG! That's so exciting. Now how is that going to fit in with your life? (Not being pessimistic, just curious.)

I just got my books for History 101 starting this fall -- back to college at age 39, wheeee!

I haven't read or seen Twilight. I'm sick of it just from Perez Hilton :-) But maybe I'll check it out just to indulge your "academic" interest.

thegoodwitch said...

Anthromama, I tho't of you when I posted that! Beware: have your red pen handy...the writing is going to make you cringe!! (I keep hearing Maurice Chevalier sing, "I'm so glaaad that I'mmmmm not youuuuung anyyyymore!"

RunninL8 said...

Yay for your higher education! And BOO to that stupid-ass movie!!! When they ran up that hill?!?!? Oh my GOD...

The Cool Homeschool Family said...

First congtats! Second please don't hate my spelling/grammar errors.
I have read all the Twilight novels and the first 1 and 1/2 Sookie books. I was so disappointed i stopped reading them. My husband and I love the True Blood series on HBO. The producers and screenwriters took a great plot idea and made it into a wonderful series. The books ugh! BTW i feel the same as you about the Twilight movie. I enjoyed the books and read them all in about a weeks time. I would be happy to discuss them.
Blessings,
Rebecca W.